The School of Mechanical Engineering offers two courses in acoustics:
- within the third year course Sustainability and the Environment, and
- the course Engineering Acoustics that is available as a fourth year elective and as a post-graduate course.
Contact Carl Howard for more information.
Applications of Acoustics
Acoustics has an enormous range of applications such as:
- Consumer electronics (mobile phones, MP3 players, car and home audio)
- Aerospace (civil and military aircraft, space launch vehicles, satellites)
- Defence (submarines, UAVs, sonar, sea mine hunting)
- Medicine (hearing aids, cochlear implants, ultrasound imaging, stethoscope)
- Room acoustics (residential, lecture rooms, offices, hotels, theatres)
- Entertainment (music, movies)
- Appliances (dishwashwers, air-conditioners, vacuum cleaners, electric toothbrushes)
- and many many more